The hospitality industry is very challenging for owners and operators. And the success is dependent on the efforts you are willing to put into it. Here are five simple things that can make a big difference in your business.
1. Understand Positions: Take time to shadow your senior staff. Being able to understand and appreciate the responsibility of your staff will only help you become a better manager. As the owner, you should know the framework of every position; from the dishwasher to the general manager.
2. Stay Positive: Working in the hospitality industry is just plain hard. However, keeping a positive attitude keeps your energy levels high and helps to break the day-to-day stresses of running a business. Positivity is also contagious and will spread to your employees making for a more enjoyable atmosphere.
3. Ask For Help: You can’t always do everything on your own. When you get in a bind ask senior staff members to help. Providing the opportunity to an employee to complete an important task not only empowers them but promotes a sense of pride and trust. Your team might also have incredible insight for solving problems that you haven’t thought of.
4. Thank You: Two simple words can go a long way. It’s standard to thank your customers for coming while making eye contact and inviting them back again. However, don’t forget to thank your employees as well. Acknowledging a job well done can make the ultimate difference.
5. Keep Current: Never stop learning about the industry. The more you understand the latest and greatest trends, technology and research the more likely you are to succeed. Share the information you find with your staff. The more knowledgeable you and your team are the better.