Today is World Food Day, a celebration of creation of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) on this day in 1945. The FAO has 194 member nations and is dedicated to the eradication of hunger worldwide. World Food Day was first celebrated in 1979 and is observed by just about every country on Earth.
There’s much we in the industry can do to participate in World Food Day and help our communities. Bar owners and staffs can join hunger walks and volunteer to assist in food drives and meal packaging events. To encourage the participation of our guests in helping to end hunger, you can host your own food drives, offering discounts to guests who donate canned and other packaged foods. We can also team up with local organizations that fight hunger to create effective and impactful partnerships and promotions. You and your staff can also share important world hunger information to educate guests.
Why We Care
- 60% of hungry people worldwide are women.
- Nearly 5 million children under the age of 5 die of malnutrition-related causes every year.
- 4 in 10 children in poor countries are malnourished, damaging their bodies and brains.
We Can End Hunger
- 40 countries have already halved the proportion of people who suffer from hunger.
- The likelihood of a child dying before age five has been nearly cut in half in the past 20 years, which means about 17,000 children are saved every day.
Extreme poverty rates have been cut in half since 1990.